SSRC Site Admin Guide
Last updated August 2020
Below are key aspects of this site. See the full PDF version of the admin guide for more details.
Marshall v. 1.0.0 by WordPress*
Purchased from Template Monster on April 17, 2019
Order confirmation code: mIyjcTc7P0QzejYnXSw0
Site background: #FFFFFF
Main menu / text headers: #3D3F41
Menu selected / hover & links / buttons: #4373B6
Body text: #858686
- Light blue: #F3F7FB
- Med. blue: #66AED2
- Light grey: #F1F1F1
- Gradient (blue to green): #4373B6 to #34b669
- Gradient (aqua blue): #7FCFEE to #D8F0FA
- Gradient (olive green): #DAE240 to #EBF0AB
- Footer: #2A2B2C
Montserrat, sans serif
Header 1: 48px
Header 2: 40px
(special H2 for the link boxes: 28px**)
Header 3: 40px
Header 4: 24px
Body Text: 16px
- Hero slider images: 2000 x 900px/ 150 dpi
- Programs / Research / People columns: 370 x 250px
- News and Member Icons (see below)
- Logos for Programs Page – 370 x 198px
- Logos for Program Details Page – 300 x 161px
- Project Images – 300 x 200px
Research Icons – 50 x 50px
People Headshots – 250 x 250px
News Featured Image – minimum 1050 x 550px
All images should be resized correctly before upload.
Unique Content Items
Homepage Hero Piece – this is built using the Smart Slider plugin.
To add the slider to the site, a shortcode for the desired slider has to be added to the homepage using the WPBakery PageBuilder interface.
To do this:
- Get the shortcode:
Go into the Smart Slider Dashboard (from the admin menu on the left) and click Edit on the slider you want to add to a page:
On the first screen you arrive at (General) – select / copy the shortcode from the Publish box:
- Navigate to the homepage and enter Edit mode.
- Expand the WPBakery Page Builder editor area:
- Hover over the text area and then click the pencil over paper icon in the green box that appears:
- Scroll to the top of the text and paste the shortcode directly in front of all the other text/content.
- Click the blue “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the editing box.
- On the right, click “Preview Changes” to be sure all appears correctly.
- Return to the admin page and click “Publish” when it all feels ready.
IMPORTANT: Any time you edit other areas of the homepage using Power Builder modules, this shortcode code gets removed from the page. So, when doing other edits, you will need to save/publish those changes, then come back in to edit the page again and add follow this process to add the shortcode back in, and save again.
Research / Impact Areas
The Research and Impact Area gradient blocks are reusable items you can add to a page from the Powerbuilder library.
To add these to a Program or Project page:
- Program Pages
On these pages, the Research / Impact Area items are added in two areas (in four columns – two for each category, research or impact; and then in two columns – one for each category). This is because of the layout changes that happen as the page adjusts columns and display as the screen size adjusts.To add one of these modules to the page:
- Go to the section of Research / Impact Areas in admin view on the page.
- If there are open module places for the item you are adding, you can move existing modules around until you have a free space where you want to add the new item so it will fit alphabetically in the listing.
- If there aren’t free spaces, duplicate the last row in the section and remove the duplicate modules. Then do the step above before proceeding to add a new module.
- Once you have made the necessary space, click “Insert Module”
- When the Insert Module dialog opens, choose “Add from Library”
- In the library, use the drop down selector to choose Research or Impact Areas.
- Once selected, from the green items that appear, choose the item you want and select the “(small)” one to add.
- After adding all the small versions of the Research and Impact Areas you want to add, proceed to adding the “(large)” instances of the same ones in the two column section below.
- Remember to preview your changes before updating the page to make sure the items appear as expected.
- Project Pages
On these pages, the Research and Impact Areas appear in the right side bar. Adding them here is much simpler.
- Click the “Insert Module” button and then “Add from Library” (as above)
- Once in the library, you can select either the small or large instance of the module to insert (on these pages it won’t make a difference).
- Once added, you can move it to its appropriate spot for ordering.
- As always, preview your changes before updating the page to make sure the items appear as expected.
The following are the plugins currently active on the site and their purpose / function on the site. Details for each and links to their developer sites are available from Plugins >Installed Plugins.
|Cherry Live Demo Mods Switcher||Part of the Cherry Framework used by the Marshall Theme.|
|Cherry Sidebars||Part of the Cherry Framework used by the Marshall Theme for sidebar creation.|
|Classic Editor||The classic WordPress editor interface.|
|Contact Form 7||Contact form plugin used for the contact page.|
|Duplicate Page||Gives the ability to duplicate a page from the Pages section to make creating a new page faster and easier.|
|Epic News Elements||Advanced news display plugin added to the site for the Phase 2 news page.|
|Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights||Connects the site to Google Analytics and provides dashboard functionality for quick views of key site usage data.|
|Intense||A shortcode plugin that enables a large variety of widgets, custom post types, snippets, icons, and more. Used for the drop down menu on the People page that lets visitors jump to a section on the page.|
|Modern Events Calendar Lite||Event calendar plugin used for upcoming events.|
|Page Links To||Allows page s and posts to link to off-site URLs. Used for news items that link directly to an external source.|
|Page scroll to id||Creates anchor tags which are used on the People page to enable the drop down menu jump down the page.|
|PHP Compatibility Checker||Enables a PHP compatibility check when trying to ensure new plugins or code won’t create a PHP error or exception.|
|Power Builder||Drag ‘n drop page building tool that comes with the Marshall theme.|
|Redirection||Enables admin access to set up 301 redirects and monitor 404 errors.|
|Responsive Tabs||Creates tabs that can be used for content display that are responsive.|
|Smart Slider &
Smart Slider Pro
|Advanced image /video slider plugin used for the homepage hero piece.|
|Simple SEO||An SEO management tool that provides quick SEO field access and management.|
|Widget Importer & Exporter||Widget import/export tool that enables bringing in – and sharing out -widgets from other developers or sites.|
|WP File Manager||A file manager tool that lets admins access and manage site files directly.|
|WPBakery Page Builder||Advanced page building tool added to the site to support integration of plugins and modules that didn’t come with the Marshall theme.|
The following are plugins on the site, but which are currently deactivated.
|Easy Twitter Feed Widget||Enables embedding a Twitter feed onto a page.|
|Hide My Site||A plugin to block public access to the site with a PW protected page.|
|WordPress Importer Tool||Used on installation of the theme, this enables the import of posts, pages, comments, custom fields, categories, tags and more from a WordPress export file.|